Monday, we had a beautiful day to drive north up the eastern coast, back to Catania. (I think we could almost do it in our sleep). From there we turned inland and drove to the middle of the northern coast to Palermo. From there, west to Scopello.
The autostrada was the fastest way and I didn't have to worry if taking the scenic route it would turn into a goat path at times. Although, using Google Earth, one can actually drive or fly over a route and see what you will see when you drive it. Using a Garmin was beyond great. I am used to AT&T Navigator on my iPhone (which doesn't work here, there went all those great apps I could have used). No one should travel ANYWHERE without some type of GPS is my thought!! Yeah, Yeah, I know, don't become dependent upon technology. It's great when it works but you stop living when it don't !! I do have a set of maps but even at larger print, still too small for John to read and direct the route.
In Palermo, the drivers have two lanes going opposite ways. They manage to make three of them each way. Speed limits go from 62 mph to 32 mph is a matter of inches, usually around pull offs and get ons. Forget getting a feel for the flow, it is just fast so hang on to your bippy and try to stay up! On the long stretches of the autostrada you get to go 81 mph, that I love to do. I still have to watch my outside left mirror because others come from behind you at breathneck speeds. They weren't there when you looked a second ago.
John could not get over how the apartments are stacked one on top of each and sidewise. So beautiful they are though, most tan with red clay tile roofs. Washings hanging out of what looks like seaside expensive condos. The autostrada hugs the coast line in several places so your visual sense is overloaded with so much to see but I can't cause the car in back of me is looking to cut me off so he/she can get three inches ahead of me in this traffic!!! John is my eyes for this part of the trip and trying to describe the best he can what is going on from his side of the seat.
Before you know it, we are in Scopello. Our home base for the next 4 weeks. Tony and Julia Messina gave us great descriptions and instructions how to open their home and turn everything on. We will be forever grateful to them both for letting us their home so we could pull off a 5 week stay.
Today, Tuesday, we hung around the house and watched it rain. It was a beautiful day to do so. Being high up the rain came in at different times and for short durations. I did the blog watching clouds of all sorts and sizes go past the mountain top across from us. John sat out on the veranda and listened to the farmers in their fields. Sound carries quite a distance here. I attach this video of the rain. Turn off all distractions and enjoy the quietness of the rain falling all around you. bel suono della pioggia
No comments:
Post a Comment